Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Day 25: Reunited

Wordcount: 43426
Minimum: 43100

We're at the in-laws' house for Thanksgiving, and you know what that means: I got my charger back! I'm writing on the MacBook once again. Ahh, feels so good.

When I got all my writing of the past week pasted back into the main document, I discovered I had more words than I thought! Score! I'm not one hundred percent sure how this happened, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth. I'm delighted to get a little break during this busy time. Speaking of busy times, tomorrow is the one day this month I have officially set aside for not writing. Maybe I'll still write a tiny bit, but I bet not.

43,000 words! I can hardly believe it. If push came to shove, I could probably finish this off in a day! Looking at where the story is, though, it's going to take a lot more than 7,000 words to get to the end. Right now I'm struggling with the question of how/whether to incorporate the remaining troops into the rest of the story. On the final edit I think I may make the expeditionary party smaller from the beginning, and give more personal attention to each of the men. Right now they're just this big vague entity, "the men". I think I'm going to arbitrarily cut down the number for the rest of the story so that I can have a more coherent questing party.

I'm starting to feel that the story will end a bit differently than I originally thought. The plan all along has been to have the party get knocked off one by one, until at the end it's just the two main guys standing alone in a final, fatal situation. But it turns out I don't naturally go in that direction when given the choice. I like to see people succeed and feel happy. Maybe there's hope for this mission yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment